I am generally interested in the intersection of data management and machine learning. This includes questions such as how to make machine learning scalable, decentralized, and private – ideally at the same time – or how to build data infrastructures that benefit the common good.
My PhD research focuses on designing and implementing cross-silo federated learning systems. The goal of my work is to enable different organizations or individuals to jointly execute federated computations across multiple data silos. More concretely, I work on systems that support the end-to-end process from the initial discovery of interested parties to a final evaluation of the result. For that, I use techniques from data management, data discovery, data integration, algorithmic privacy, and machine learning. Beyond my core PhD research, I have also been exploring other topics in the field of data management in collaboration with colleagues or as part of advising theses.
I am always looking for great students and collaborators. If you are interested in writing a BSc/MSc thesis with me or working as a Research Assistant at DIMA, send me an email explaining your interest and attach an up-to-date CV.
The Art of Losing to Win: Using Lossy Image Compression to Improve Data Loading in Deep Learning Pipelines
Lennart Behme, Saravanan Thirumuruganathan, Alireza Rezaei Mahdiraji, Jorge-Arnulfo Quiané-Ruiz, and Volker Markl.
To appear in: 39th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (2023).
Towards a Modular Data Management System Framework
Haralampos Gavriilidis, Lennart Behme, Sokratis Papadopoulos, Stefano Bortoli, Jorge-Arnulfo Quiané-Ruiz, and Volker Markl.
1st International Workshop on Composable Data Management Systems @ VLDB (2022).
You can also find me on dblp or Google Scholar.
- Software Campus Project Grant
- The Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Faculty at TU Berlin honored my master’s degree as one of the three best 2021/22 degrees.
- Winter ‘22
- Database Lab DBPRA
- Summer ‘22
- Information Systems and Data Analysis ISDA
- Seminar on Advanced Topics in Database and Information Systems DBSEM
- Database Project DBPRO
- Winter ‘21
- Research Oriented Course on Data Science and Engineering Systems and Technologies ROC
- Seminar on Hot Topics in Information Management IMSEM
- Investigating the Effectiveness of Cross-Silo Datasets for Training Federated Learning Models
Florian Haberkorn B.Sc.
- External reviewer SIGMOD 2023
- Member of the Availability Committee SIGMOD 2023
- External reviewer ICDE 2023
- External reviewer CIDR 2023